Leading adult education through support for and the effective application of technology.
OTAN Grant Objectives
OTAN: The Outreach and Technical Assistance Network provides electronic collaboration and information, and support for instructional technology and distance learning to literacy and adult education providers in California.
OTAN is composed of three major components, they are:
Electronic Collaboration and Information
OTAN’s online presence is meeting the communication needs of adult educators by:
- Maintaining the OTAN Web site, a collection of information and a starting point to explore the world of adult education and literacy resources;
- Supporting email lists, webcasts, videoconferencing, online meeting and other forms of electronic collaboration;
- Developing online grant application and reporting for the California Department of Education Adult Education Office;
- Providing support to users through telephone support and regional training; and
- Continuing to develop and improve electronic services to best meet the needs of California adult educators.
OTAN supports adult education programs that are initiating or expanding the use of instructional technology by:
- Providing information and training for planning and implementing new technologies in adult education classrooms;
- Providing face-to-face and online workshops to increase skill levels of adult educators;
- Hosting the Technology Integration Mentor Academy (TIMAC) to train on-site technology mentors; and
- Producing a collection of online videos on innovative uses of technology in the classroom.
OTAN supports adult education programs that are providing distance learning courses by:
- Providing statewide licensing of curriculum materials appropriate for distance instruction;
- Hosting a Technology and Distance Learning Symposium;
- Supporting the Innovation Programs online application and reporting system; and
- Assisting CDE with distance learning policy development.
Watch a video about our services
OTAN began in 1989 as a federally funded project through the California Department of Education, Adult Education Office.