20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Website Example: http://www.20thingsilearned.com/en-US/what-is-the-internet/1
Tech Product Equipment
computer, Internet, projector, whiteboard or screen
This is an online book (61 pages) about various aspects of browsers, the Internet, cloud computing, cookies, privacy, security, malware, and phishing. The reading level is about 6th grade. It can be covered in small chunks (20) and integrated into your everyday skills competencies.
This is an excellent resource for an elective class about computers. It can also be used to get students to understand the computer vocabulary used today. Read the online book before using it with your students.
- Make sure that the site is not blocked at your school and that the book can be viewed in your classroom.
- Decide if you want to use the whole book or only certain pages.
- Review each topic in the book and make a list of vocabulary words students will need to know.
- Have students read the selected topic.
- Explain or demonstrate when possible, each of the terms used. For instance, what is a browser, plug-ins, cookies, malware, phishing, cloud, etc.
- Have students discuss the topic and the importance to their daily lives.
- Ask students to demonstrate or explain with their own words the meaning of the terms learned.
Present one or two topics a week throughout the semester to give students the needed background on browsers and the Web.
Select subjects and subcategories
- Intro to Computers