ABPI Schools: Genes and Inheritance
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Tech Product Equipment
computer, Internet connection, and projector
This resource explains and demonstrates with interactive graphics, what are genes, how they are form, how they affect inheritance, what are chromosomes, mitosis, meiosis, fertilization, cloning, and studies a few inherited diseases like cystic fibrosis. The ability to see with graphics how genes work, makes this biology topic a much more meaningful experience for students.
- Make sure that the site is not blocked at your school and that the resources can be viewed.
- Review the site and identify graphics and animations that would enhance classroom instruction.
- Review the questions at the bottom of each page.
- Determine which pages your want to use.
There are a number of interactive features in this e-source, which you can use to enhance your classroom instruction.
- A glossary of terms: any word with a glossary entry is highlighted. Moving the mouse over the highlighted word will show a definition of that word.
- Quick questions: at the end of most pages or sections there is a question or set of quick questions to test your understanding.
- Animations: most of the animations can be expanded to full screen size, ideal for showing on an interactive whiteboard. The animations will play all the way through or can be viewed one section at a time.
- Downloads: Teachers can download individual diagrams, animations and other content from the Resource Library area of the website. Terms and Conditions apply.
There are many interactive processes in this resource. Even if you don't want to use the whole lesson, you can still use the interactive diagrams to demonstrate protein synthesis, mitosis, DNA replication, meiosis, fertilization, inheritance of cystic fibrosis, genetic engineering to produce insulin, and more. Use the quiz at the end of each page to reaffirm understanding. There is also a quiz for the whole lesson on page 8. If you are printing from an Internet Explorer (IE) browser, please go to 'print preview' and adjust the preferred print zoom level to 85%. This will ensure that all content on the ABPI modules will print out correctly.
Be sure to check out other topics
Select subjects and subcategories
- Health and Life Science