Figure This Math Challenges: Averages
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Website Example: http://figurethis.org/challenges/c14/challenge.htm
Tech Product Equipment
Computer(s), Internet access, projector (for class presentation)
The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics sponsors this, Take a Challenge Web site that has 80 problem solving challenges that can be used for algebra and geometry students. The site is also available in Spanish.
For this activity, we will be working on figuring averages.
- Go to the Example Web Site (above).
- Work through the problem, exploring the features at the bottom of the page including:
- Getting Started
- Try These
- Print copies of Example Document - Figuring Averages and a single copy of the Answer Key.
- Review with the class the steps in solving averages problems.
- Review any skills needed.
- Visit the site and show the problem.
- Hand out the worksheet on Figuring Averages. Use the problem as the basis for discussion as a whole class, or in small groups or pairs.
- Have students work on the other problems. Gather students together and check answers as a class.
- Remind students they can access the site at home, maybe as a family project.
If you want a printed copy of the challenges/problems, follow the link at the bottom labeled Printing the Challenges .
- Go through the Teacher Corner materials and assign "family homework."
- Show your students the Family Corner area that has tips on how they can help their children in school, especially in the area of math.
Select subjects and subcategories
- Consumer Math