Free Books - Unlimited Library - (Mobile App)
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Tech Product Equipment
In this activity, students use a free iPad app to read a book they or their teacher select. Students read assigned chapters and highlight new vocabulary and important information. During a class discussion, students are able to refer to their highlighted notes. Students are then asked to look up new vocabulary words and write a short synopsis of the chapter.
The Free Books – Unlimited Library – The Ultimate Ebooks And Audiobooks Library In Your Pocket app by Digital Press Publishing provides notes, highlights, bookmarks and dictionary support. The upgraded version ($$) includes audiobooks; however, the student is not able to see the printed text while listening to the audio.
- Check to be sure iTunes is not blocked at your site.
- Download the app on each iPad to be used.
- Select the book your students will be reading and download.
- Decide whether you want your students to read the box silently or out loud.
- Pre-read the selection and decide on any overriding question you want your students to consider as they are reading the selection.
- Introduce the book and a little background about the author.
- Introduce the app and demonstrate the features you want them to use.
- Introduce the reading assignment and any overriding questions you want your students to consider.
- Give students time to read the selection.
- Discuss the selection.
- Have students look up new vocabulary words for homework or in class work.
- Have students write a short synopsis of each chapter.
Teacher TipsIt may be necessary to give students an assignment to work on after they complete the reading since students will finish at different times.
More WaysPurchase the audiobook version for students that are struggling. You will need another iPad or a hard copy for the student to follow the written words.
Select subjects and subcategories
English Language Arts
- American Literature
- English 1-4
- World Literature
- Android Phone
- Android Tablet