HippoCampus: Graphing Equations in Slope Intercept Form
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Tech Product Equipment
Computer(s), Internet access, optional projector for classroom presentation, speakers and/or headphones
Activity DescriptionIn this activity, students learn to find the slope intercept form of a linear equation and define its parts. Students also learn to graph a line using the slope intercept formula and derive the equation of a line from its graph. Students view a video presentation and worked examples, practice their skills, and then check for understanding.
- Check that the site is not blocked by your school.
- Review the online activity using the Example Web Site link (above).
- Pay close attention to the Warm Up activity and be sure your students are ready to begin this lesson.
- Teach any needed concepts to prepare your students for this lesson.
- Prepare a homework assignment with additional practice problems.
- Present your lesson on Graphing Equations in Slope Intercept Form or have students view the presentation online.
- Direct students to the Worked Examples and Practice area. Walk around the room to assist students who may need additional instruction.
- Place a link to the lesson on your class Web site or wiki. Encourage students to review the lesson at home, if needed.
- Assign your worksheet for homework.
- Review homework on another day and identify gaps in understanding.
- Use the Review as a final check for understanding before moving on to another lesson.
- Students can access the topic text in English and Spanish by selecting Topic Text in the upper right-hand corner. There are also Topic Terms and a Glossary available.
- To find this activity on your own from the main HippoCampus page, select the Launch a COURSE tab, select Algebra I- An Open Course, Semester 1 (2011), then Click to Launch the course. A new browser window will open with a Table of Contents for the entire course. Select a topic to study or use the entire course for a student who needs it.
- Review: Display the questions using a projector and organize a class game. Have students work in small groups and have each group take turns answering the questions.
- There are many other topics in this Algebra 1 course from the Monterey Institute. Use other lessons to reinforce classroom instruction on other Algebra topics..
Select subjects and subcategories
- American Government
- U.S. History