Northeastern University: Conventions and Campaigns - Media and Debates
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Website Example: http://conventions.cps.neu.edu/media-debates/lesson-plans/
Tech Product Equipment
Computer(s), Internet access, projector, speakers (for class presentation)
In this activity, students identify key communication technological development and their impact on the operation and function of political conventions and elections and evaluate the impact of the media on the political process.
- Make sure that the site is not blocked at your school and that the resource pages and video files can be viewed.
- Review the detailed Media & Debates lesson plan.
- Download and make copies of the Media and Technology (Graphic Organizer) [PDF].
- Makes copies of additional resources if necessary. Links to additional resources are found in the Resources section of the lesson plan, but we noticed that two of them are no longer available, so you may want to find some replacement articles.
- Decide on how to get students to the Web site if they will be working independently or in small groups rather than as a whole class. We suggest adding a link to this site to your class Web site, send students a link in an e-mail, use a shared online bookmarking system, or bookmark it on each computer.
- Refer to the detailed Lesson Plan .and links to resources.
- In the dark blue navigation bar at the top of the page you will find links to information on changing media and debates, and their impact on conventions and campaigns historically. Students will explore these as they complete the lesson.
- Have students either as a whole class or independently complete the Quiz found in the dark blue navigation bar.
- The "Artifact timeline" that students create as part of the lesson can be used as an assessment tool.
- If you do not have multiple computers in your class, you can download and print the PDF document (icon found at the end of the dark blue navigation bar) which has similar content to the site itself.
- U.S. Political Conventions & Campaigns has other detailed lesson plans on the History of Conventions & Campaigns , Campaign Finance , Nominations and Conventions , and Policy and Platforms .
Select subjects and subcategories
- American Government
- U.S. History