PBS Learning Media: Point of View - Sharing a Perspective on Music
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Tech Product Equipment
Computer(s), Internet access, projector, speakers
In this activity, students discuss music they do and do not enjoy. They then watch a short video segment of a band playing "St. Louis Blues" and are asked to write a critique of the music they heard based on their opinion and a critique from a music critic. Students then reflect upon how their point of view influenced their opinion.
- Review the detailed lesson plan
- Make sure the video "New Orleans Jazz" can be played in your classroom
- Download the handouts and make copies.
- Be sure to check online for detailed Lesson Plan.
- Part 1: Learning Activity
- Part 2: Assessment
- Check the tips under Part 1 Learning Activity labeled "For students who need additional teacher guidance:"
- The QuickTime player and Adobe Flash Player are needed to play the video.
- This site has many more resources using media to engage students. Explore them using the link above labeled "Web Site."
Select subjects and subcategories
English Language Arts
- American Literature
- English 1-4
- Art History
- Fine Arts Electives
- Music Appreciation