Sheppard Software: Periodic Table Games
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Website Example: http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/Elementsgames.htm
Tech Product Equipment
Computer(s), Internet access, projector, speakers (for class presentation)
In this activity, students play a game to reinforce classroom instruction on element groups. Students are asked to select the correct element group that corresponds to the clue given. There are eight games on the Periodic Table. The first two games are Element Quiz Games. The next six are Periodic Table Games and grow in difficulty according to each level: Learning, Beginner, Advanced Beginner, Intermediate, Expert, and Master.
This site offers online Web games covering vocabulary, computer terminology, medical terminology, world and U.S. Geography.
- Select the Example Web Site (link above). Make sure the site is not blocked at your school.
- Familiarize yourself with the site and the games. The Level L - Learning section can be used for an introduction to the Elements and the Periodic Table.
- Prepare to teach a lesson on the Elements and the Periodic Table. The WebElements site has a lot of information on each of the elements including the Essentials, Contents, History, Uses, Crystal structures, Physics Thermochemistry, Atoms, etc. You will find these by selecting one of the topics at the top of the page and then selecting the element on the periodic table.
- Create a short quiz on the Element Groups.
- Determine rules and scoring procedures for classroom play of the games.
- Present a lesson on Element Groups.
- Select and project the Element Quiz Game-Level L and play as a classroom activity. Allow students to use their notes. Students can play against each other in groups.
- Allow time for students to play in a computer lab or in groups on classroom computers, if possible.
- Have students study the Element Groups for homework. Place a link the game on your class site or blog so students can play at home.
- Project game and play as a classroom activity. This time do not allow students to use their notes. Students can play against each other in groups.
- Give a short quiz to check for understanding.
- Check out all the other Element and Periodic Table Games .These are very effective games that will help your students learn the periodic table. They are easy to play with sound and colorful graphics.
- The site has a lot of advertising, so teach your students about advertising on Web sites, how to identify it, and why they should avoid clicking on it.
- This site offers shareware that's free to schools covering topics in math, vocabulary, presidents, states, and space (the universe). The states and presidents software and games might be useful for EL Civics classes. Use the link above labeled "Web Site" then scroll to the bottom of the page and select "Free for Teachers" to find information on downloading the software for free.
Select subjects and subcategories